Sunday, June 22, 2014

What I have been working on

One of the reasons I wanted to start this blog was so I would have a place to show off my creations for my 18” dolls. This is going to be one of those posts.

Most of what I have been making lately for the dolls falls into two categories either clothing (some underwear for a sew-along for a group I belong to) or some props to use in the Allison's Journal posts. I think I have a different mindset when it comes to making accessories for the dolls because of my background in dollhouse miniatures. If you were to shrink yourself down and wander through the dollhouses of most of the adult collectors I know you would be right at home. Most of us even fill up the drawers in the dollhouse. I have silverware and pots and pans and food (well, it looks like food- mostly polymer clay and printies- the dolls really don't eat much so they don't mind) in the kitchen cabinets and drawers. There's even clothes in the dressers. So when I fell in love with the larger 18” dolls I brought this madness with me. Slowly I will be making enough props to use in the posts that if the dolls were to come to life they would be able to just move in and enjoy the house.

I decided long ago that for the most part the kids are about 12 or 13 years old. I got to thinking what do girls that age have. Well, when was the last time you saw a pre-teen that didn't have a cell phone and all the girls that age I know have a purse to keep them in. Then I didn't want to the boys to be left out, I started to think about how to make a boy's wallet (they have money and debit cards too you know)

I worked out the pattern to make the first boy's wallet and I think it turned out really well. I also made a debit card and a school ID card to go in it along with some printable money I got online. I think it turned out pretty well. I did take a moment to trim the extra threads that show up in the photos. In truth I didn't even notice them until I was editing the photos to post them for some friends to see. 

Jeremy is very proud of his new wallet.

He wanted you to take a closer look. I promise I did clip those loose threads.

Here is his school ID card and his debit card- he likes to be prepared

a better look at the cards and some of his cash
 

I did make some cell phones for the kids before I did the first of the Allison's Journal posts way back in December (or was it November?? I'm too lazy to look as I write this LOL) but I was never completely happy with them. So I am re-working those this week too. I will try to remember to post some photos of those when I get the details worked out.

I dug through some of the doll stuff I had previously made to see how many purses I already had made so now I can start on some more purses this week. Of course the girls will each need a wallet to go in their purse too, so more planning and pattern drawing for that. And when was the last time you saw any girl that just had a wallet and cellphone in her bag. I am going to have to do some thinking about what else should go in them.......

Now onto that underwear, like I said earlier I belong to a doll sewing group and we have a monthly sew-along. For that the theme/ pattern is posted at the beginning of the month and then throughout the month as each person that is taking part gets done they post photos of what was made. It is a lot of fun and there are some very talented and creative folks on there. Here are the things I made for this month's sew along.

Allison and Molly went to Allison's room to try on theirs

closer look at Allison

and Molly
Jazmin loves hers

And the boys couldn't be left out

I hope you enjoyed seeing what I have been up to with the dolls. I have a couple of more blog posts planned for the near future so keep your eyes open for those. I got a new pattern book and doll sewing DVD that I want to review and I have a bunch more of the Paper Minis done to show you too.  If you follow/subscribe to the blog you will be more apt to see the posts when they come up.

No comments:

Post a Comment