Sunday, November 30, 2014

November Sewing Projects






I thought I would take a few minutes to tell you about the doll sewing projects I have been doing this month. With the Thanksgiving holiday I only had so much time and decided to concentrate on the projects for my doll sewing group's Sew-along theme. This month was coats, and I had been wanting to work on a couple of coats so I did as many as I could!

One pattern I had been wanting to re-visit was Simplicity 5733, I had made it a couple of years ago and although it had turned out cute I wasn't totally happy with it. The fit was pretty good but I had used the quilted cotton fabric like the pattern suggested and I just felt the resulting coat was too bulky and didn't hang well on the doll. This time I decided to just use a corduroy on the outside since the coat is lined I felt it would work just right. I chose a brown corduroy and a pale pink lining fabric, I just love that combination together. I had also picked up some pink/white/& brown yarn a while back and had knitted a doll size scarf and this would give that a place to go. I was going to have the fur trim around the hood like the pattern calls for but totally forgot to pick it up when I was at the store. It wasn't until I started to sew that I realized that I had forgotten it. I decided to just skip it and I think it looks fine with out it.

 I love how this pattern came out this way and with the lighter weight of the fabric it hangs really well. The fit in the shoulders is very nice and as a bonus there is also room to put a heavier weight sweater under it.

















The second coat I made was really more just a jacket. I raided that wonderful wool fabric I had picked up at the Pendleton store and used a piece of that to make the Liberty Jane Cropped Jacket pattern. As soon as I saw this pattern I knew I wanted to make it up and I had to do the eyelets down both sides of the front. I knew that if my daughter had found that jacket in her size as a teen she would have worn it a lot so I wanted to make the doll size version.






The week before Thanksgiving I was contacted by Steph at Many Small Friends (see wonderful blog her here) because I had volunteered to be a pattern tester. She had a coat pattern that needed to be tested. I jumped at the chance to make this adorable Wrap Coat pattern, it was a dream to sew and I absolutely love the coat on Molly. I will try to remember to let you all know when the pattern is finally available for sale. I had intended to use some fabric from my stash but I when I went to the store to get the fabric for the color I fell in love with this brown suede that was on sale so I decided to use it instead. I think it is perfect for this pattern, don't you?



The last coat I got done this month was the Liberty Jane Bomber Jacket, I had purchased the fabric and all the rest of the stuff I needed for it a couple of months ago but just had never gotten around to even cutting it out. I decided that it was my Saturday project this weekend so it would be done in time to count for the Sew-Along! I think it looks really cute on Micheal and fits him really well. I did try it on one of my AG dolls and it was a bit snug on that doll size. I think if I make this again I will be adjusting the fit a bit to give a bit bigger.



So that was the sewing I got done in November, now I think I am ready for December hopefully I will have time to get at least a few things made next month to show you.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing that you got so much done in just a month. A big well done coming your way :)
    Loredana
    www.loredana61.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete