Monday, March 2, 2015

Lemon Bars for 18” Dolls





Join this week to learn how to make some really easy Lemon Bars for your 18” dolls. I happen to love lemon bars in real life so I figured the dolls would too.

This is a really simple project that only requires 3 colors of polymer clay.

We start out with a thinnish layer of a crust color. Any tan/beige color. In the video I used some Fimo Sahara but Premo Ecru or Sculpey III Tan would also work just as well. Just use the one you have or can find.

For the lemon filling portion Fimo has made this step easier, they have a Translucent Yellow clay available (look for it with the “Effects” banner on the label) it is still not quite translucent enough so add an equal amount of Fimo Translucent to. This is the perfect color of clay for both this week's Lemon Bars and for the project I have planned for next week. (a little hint there)

Roll the yellow layer out thicker (I used the thickest setting on my pasta machine and then used 2 layers of this thickness.

Cut your lemon bars to the size you want, I like about ½ by ¾” approximately. Remember these cookies are usually cut pretty small in real life.

Now the fun begins. I like to start the texturing process with one of those scrubber pads that you find near the dishwashing stuff in the grocery store. I actually got some at the dollar store a while back. If you don't have this you can use a ball of aluminum foil, we just want to get some texture on the top of the filling that looks like the cracking that happens when the real ones coook.

Now transfer your first bar to an clean emery board (I buy these at the dollar store also) and use another emery board on the top of the bar to help hold it. This helps to prevent your finger prints from ruining the texture. Now use a pointy tool, I like a dental pick but what ever you are comfortable using. A pin or a toothpick would also work. We are now going to texture just the crust. I want you to barely touch the surface of the crust clay and make very tiny circle motions. This should just tease up little tiny crumbs to the surface. Work carefully around the base of each bar. I also like to gently drag the side of my tool down the sides of the bar to give it a more “cut” appearance.

Now bake your Lemon Bars according to the directions on the clay package.

Once they have cooled I want you to add just a touch of white craft paint with your finger tip to the top of each bar. To do this dip your fingertip into a bit of the paint then blot off most of the paint. We just want the smallest amount to be left on the fingertip. Now gently touch the top of each bar to add the “powdered sugar” dusting.

There now wasn't that easy?



Come back next week for another project using the same yellow clay mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment