Monday, April 13, 2015

Doll Size Gummy Bears




I am so excited because the Gummy Bear mold that I had ordered at the Seattle Miniature Show finally arrived!! I have become somewhat obsessed with making gummy bears since it arrived. I am certain the numbers now count in the hundreds but I can't help myself they are just so darn cute and easy to make. 

 

First if you want to make some gummy bears for your dolls here is the link to Ruth's site. I don't see the mold on the site as I am uploading this but you can contact her through her website for the information. 

The first thing I did when I got my mold was to try all the brands of clay I have in it. I did discover that Ruth's recommendation of the Sculpey III is the best one for this. The texture works the best with the mold. In instructions Ruth shows how to cut the excess clay off with a knife but I prefer to use the side of my dental tool. I am always worried about nicking the top of the mold with a knife.

The gummy bears made of polymer clay (5 parts translucent to 1 part color) come out really cute. The detail in this mold is amazing and it really does show up nicely in this version.

After a couple of batches of clay gummy bears I was in the mood to create some that looked a bit more like the real thing. I have been playing with my Liquid Kato clay that I picked up in the Hobby Lobby when I was in Seattle a while back. I love this product because it is not only really clear but it is also a bit shiny unlike the other liquid polymer clays I have tried. I used to have some Fimo Deco Gel and it is close but the Kato version is just enough better to seek it out.

There are several ways to color liquid polymer clay. One thing I keep seeing on Youtube videos is people using acrylic paint for this, that is really not a good idea. The products are not really compatible. For these gummy bears because I wanted to keep the translucency of the liquid clay I chose to use some oil paint. It just takes a tiny bit, I found that out on my first batch- any more and you will not have a transparent bear. The exception to this is the red, I had to add a lot more red paint because the color seems to disappear. I did find that the Rose Madder gives a nice red gummy bear color, most of the other reds I tried turned orange.

The mold creates 10 gummy bears at a time- 5 regular size and 5 “jumbo” ones.

The small ones only take a drop or two of the liquid clay while the larger ones take about 3 drops so you can see that jar of liquid clay is going to make a ton of gummy bears.

I did try TLS (Transparent Liquid Sculpey) but I really didn't like the result. The main problem being that TLS just doesn't get clear, it stays really white and has a very flat dull finish.

The Kato clay products all bake at a higher temperature than the other brands of clay- 350 degrees. I have read that this product will cure at a lower temperature but will not be as clear or as shiny.




I have more videos planned for this same liquid clay so keep your eyes on the blog and the channel for those.








No comments:

Post a Comment