Come Back often

Have you checked out all my blogs?


Dollhouse Minis:http://joannesminis.blogspot.com/


18” Dolls: http://joannes18dolls.blogspot.com/


General Crafts: http://joannes-place.blogspot.com/


Joanne's Kitchen: http://joanne-kitchen.blogspot.com/





Also if for some reason I can't post I will try to give a head's up on the Facebook page so check there too.

Monday, April 6, 2015

Vintage Multiplication Cards



This week I am decided to show you how to work with the newest release from Paper Minis. If you have read my blogs for very long or watched my videos you already know I love the kits that Ann produces. As soon as I noticed this new kit I knew I had to order it. (I think I had it ordered within 3 minutes of starting to read that week's newsletter. LOL) 

 

Since this kit is a vintage item I had to figure out how to make it work with my dolls who live in today's world. It didn't take me long to come up with an idea.

You see I have spent a lot of hours the last year or two going through stacks of boxes of stuff that we packed up from my mom's house when she passed away. Not only are there boxes of stuff from my childhood but there are also an equal number of boxes from my mom's childhood and even a few from my grandmother's childhood. These cards look like they could have been in one of those many boxes.

One of the things I love to do with my dollhouse miniatures is to make them look old and worn. I decided to take some of those techniques and use them on this set of cards. I love the end result and they look like they have been around for a hundred years, sitting a box in someone's attic.

The first step in making up this kit is to make your choice of paper. You want a paper that it going to take the ink well and hold up to scoring, folding and gluing. I decided to use a good quality Matte finish photo paper. Photo papers will allow your printer to do the best job it can do. The matte finish was important for a couple of reasons. One being that I wanted to make these look old so I didn't want any shine to them. Also because of the number of folds the matte paper will hold up much better, glossy paper has more of a tendency to crack on the fold lines.

When you are printing your printies be sure to set your printer to 100% size and to no borders, this is really important in getting your printies to come out the correct size.

I like to allow my ink to set at least a couple of hours if not overnight before I handle them. It probably isn't important but it seems to me that I get less smearing that way. I didn't seal my paper but you can and should if your ink is not water resistant. I usually don't for normal printies just for ones that I am going to be using with a lot more glue or that I might need to clean in the future. (like wallpaper for a dollhouse)

I like to score all my fold lines before I cut out the pieces. For me it is just easier to do this while the pieces are all still together. For printies like these I usually use my dental pick as my scoring tool. As much as I would like to use my scoring board the lines it makes are just too wide to use for these little pieces. After all the fold lines are scored it is time to cut each piece out. Be very careful and take your time- actually this is important for all the steps in this project. The more care you take with each step the better your final project will look. I use a combination of a straight edge with a craft knife and a small pair of scissors to cut out my pieces. Use whatever tools are the most comfortable for you.

After all the pieces are cut out it is time to fold and crease on all those fold lines we scored a little while ago. Also make sure all your cuts are correct and that you know where to glue.

For glue I used some regular Tacky Glue for the box and a glue stick for the cards. Just don't apply too much glue. Clamp any places that need to be clamped to stay the way you want them. Go back over each piece several times while the glue it drying and make sure everything is the way you want it be.

After the glue was dry I checked each card and trimmed it as needed and used a pair of curved manicure scissors to trim those rounded corners.

If your are making your cards to look new you are now done! They are ready for your dolls to learn their multiplication facts. Since these are in the style of the early 1900's I would bet either Samantha or Rebecca would enjoy a set of them.

But if you are going age your card set like I did it is now time for the fun part!

To age the cards I used some Distress Ink from the Tim Holtz line made by Ranger in the colors: Vintage Photo and Old Paper. I also used an emery board to rough up the edges/corners of each piece. I love the finished look of my card set.

This set is going to join some other items I have been planning and working on for an Allison's Journal blog post in the future. You will just have to wait to see what that story is.

I would love to see your projects you make so be sure to send me pictures of them. I also ask that if you do buy this set (or any of the others I have shown you) from Ann that you let her know you heard about if from me. It is a lot of fun for both of us to learn those things.


No comments:

Post a Comment