Wednesday, May 20, 2015

A Box of Treasures

I am so excited! While I was on my way home from school I got a text message from mom telling that the UPS truck had left a big package for me! She said it is from my grandma. I couldn't wait to get home from school to see what was inside.

Chelsea and I didn't even stop in the kitchen to grab a snack like we normally do when we get home. We both ran right up to my room to see what my grandma had sent.












When I walked into my room I saw a big box sitting right on my bed. I wondered what could possibly be in it.












I immediately got the box open and looked inside.














The first thing I found was an envelope with my name on it. I opened it to find a letter from my grandma. I was so excited that I wanted to see what else was in the box but I decided that if grandma had put the envelope on top she wanted me to read it first. So I sat on my bed with the letter and read it. Here is what it said:



Dearest Allison,
I have been saving the items in this box especially for you.

The album is the one that I spent hours putting together when I was a young girl. I collected all of those pictures over many years. I hope you enjoy looking at the pictures as much as I have over the years. They remind me of my childhood.

The little book was your mom's very favorite book when she was a little girl. I think I had it memorized because we read it every day for many years.

The box contains some math cards that my own mother had from her days in school. She had used them to learn her math facts.

The photo is of your great-grandmother. She is the one we have all said you look just like. I think she was just about your age when this was taken.
I have been saving her cross for you for many years. I know she would have been so proud to see you wear it.

And the last thing in the box is the dress she was wearing in the picture. I found ti many years ago. I had been keeping it and decided it should go to you now.

I hope this little connection to the past is something you will enjoy.

Love
Grandma

Wow, I am so happy grandma thought of me and sent me all these things. I can't wait to look at all of them!

First I carefully picked up the album, it is heave and feels very fragile. The pages have turned brown over the years but there are so many photos in there. Some pages have entire pages of paper dolls. I remember playing with paper dolls at grandma's house when I was a little girl. She still loved them then. I think she still does.














Next is the book grandma said was my mom's favorite. I remember having this book read to me when I was little too. Maybe Jeremy's little sister will visit us soon and I can read it to her.






The box of math cards is really neat, they look so old and I am not sure how they worked.

Chelsea looked at them and figured out that there are two sets of cards. One set has multiplication problems on them and the other set has the answers. She thinks we could probably make up a game with these. Maybe after we look at everything else we will try.












Oh! Great-grandma's necklace, it is so pretty.











When Chelsea looked at the photo of my great-grandma she kept looking from the picture to me and back. She is sure if I put on the dress and pulled my hair back it would look like it was a picture of me.


I think I will put the picture right here on my nightstand so I can see it everyday.






And the dress! It has turned dark with age and there are some tears in the fabric and the lace but it is still really pretty. I wonder if it would fit me?? I have to try it on and find out.








Oh wow, except for being a little bit big around it fits me really well! And maybe Chelsea is right, maybe I do look a little like my great-grandma.






I had to have Chelsea help me fasten the necklace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment