Monday, June 22, 2015

Blanks for Doll Size Cakes



This week I am going to show you how to make some bases to create cakes on later. I know it isn't the most exciting topic but I am hoping to show you some different options later on for decorating cakes and I don't want to have to show this part on each video. I do these types of videos on my other channel too, a shorter video of something that I can refer you back to rather than repeating the same info on multiple videos.



So this week we are creating blanks specifically for the bakery boxes I showed you last week. I am making the blanks smaller than what I want the finished cakes to be since we will be covering them when we decorate them.

I used some round clay cutters that I have on hand (some of them could have been cookie cutters originally) I used the following sizes:

Small 1 ¼” diameter
Medium 1 ½” diameter
Large 1 ¾” diameter

For clay I used some of my box of Original Sculpey. Since these will not be visible once we are done decorating we could even use some scrap clay for. I like to use the Original Scupley since it is soft these work up really quickly.

I used my pasta machine set on the thickest setting to roll out the clay. If you don't have a pasta/clay machine just use your roller to roll the clay. I cut the following number of layers, stacked them and cut out the middle with a smaller cutter.

Small 7 layers
Medium 8 layers
Large 9 layers

I then cut out two more circles the same size to use as the top and bottom of the stacks. Try to make the stacks as neat as you can but don't stress too much. We can fix a lot of problems later.

Bake according to the clay package directions (I baked mine at 250 degrees- Fahrenheit- for 15 minutes) We will be baking them at least one more time when we decorate them.

When the blanks are baked and cooled use some sandpaper to even them up a bit.

Now you are ready to start in the (doll size) cake decorating business!



Be sure to join us on Facebook!


1 comment:

  1. Hi-I sent you an email (just last night, and yes I'm impatient) and wasn't sure if it would go through. So, I thought I would comment here as well. What type of "pasta" machine/roller do you use/recommend? Thanks for any information.

    ReplyDelete