Monday, June 29, 2015

Doll Size Cake


This week I am showing you one way to decorate a cake to go in one of the Print Minis cake boxes. I am using the smallest cake blank from last week's video (here's a link to the cake blank video) so these are for display only.



I was killing time one day browsing cake decorating ideas on my phone and came across a multi-tier cake for the 4th of July. This cake is based very loosely on the top tier. I know I have seen cakes this size for sale at bakeries for different occasions so I thought it would be a cute stand alone cake.

I first covered my cake blank with some Pacific Blue Fimo then the rest of the decorations are made of white Fimo. You can use any brand polymer clay you have. The main thing with this step is to make sure the layer is smooth and that there are no air pockets. I used a wet wipe to remove some of the fingerprints that occurred due to the room temperature. (clay is more apt to show fingerprints if the either the room or your hands are warm)

Since I wanted to minimize color transfer from the blue to the white I baked the covered blank before I started adding any of the white clay. I also cleaned my work area up before I even opened up the bag that contained the white clay. I still managed to get some blue bits of clay on the white. This is the way with white clay, it attracts every bit of everything in the air.


I also baked my project during assembly so that I could make sure all the decorations stayed where I wanted them. You can pretty much bake your clay as often as you want to just never go above the temperature stated on the package. I tend to bake a few degrees lower many times just to be sure.


The star cutter I used is from a set of clay cutters made by the Makin's company. I am fairly certain I picked these up at Michael's years ago. The round cutters are made by the Kemper company. According to my ruler they are about 1/4" and 1/8" in diameter. These should be readily available in many places that sell clay. 

This time the Transparent Liquid Sculpey is acting as a glue, and it does this job really well. Without it you might find your decorations popping off after baking. You could also use Bake & Bond also by Sculpey for this step. The two products are interchangeable for what we are doing today.

For the base for my cake to sit on I used some of my card-making/ paper crafting supplies. I had the scrap of metallic cardstock in my scrap bin and it happened that the cake sit really nicely in the shape cut with the set of scalloped circle dies that I had in my drawer. These were used with my Big Kick die cutting machine. 




No comments:

Post a Comment