Monday, November 16, 2015

Doll Size Cranberry Sauce


This week I thought it would be fun to show you how to make a cute bowl of cranberry sauce for your doll's holiday dinner. I made some cranberry sauce a week or two ago on my dollhouse channel/blog but I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to make it in this bigger scale.



The first challenge was to find something suitable to use for the cranberries. I actually spent a bit of time looking at several stores one day. I finally hit gold at the Dollar Tree. They had bags of “Faux Snow” that were made up of tiny balls of a Styrofoam like material. I was pretty sure they would work providing they took the paint. I was really happy when I started playing with them because they do indeed take paint wonderfully.

So now I was ready to make the project. The thing was to find a bowl to put the sauce into. I have been wanting to show you how to make simple small bowls formed over the flat marbles for a while so this was the perfect time.

If you have a bowl/dish to use feel free to use whatever goes with your doll's style. For this bowls we use a simple process of rolling out clay, cutting it to fit, forming, trimming a baking. Pretty easy and you can make a bunch of bowls at a time this way. Just remember it works the best to take the glass pieces out while they are fresh from the oven and those little things get hot! So be careful.

Once you have a bowl to use it is time to color those little balls of foam in some pretty reds. I like to use more than one color in projects like this because in the end the finished product just looks better. Use whatever red craft paint you have on hand. I think having at least one really dark red is important to make the cranberry sauce look right in the end.

Once the cranberries are dry mix some of the darkest red paint with some Triple Thick and then mix in enough cranberries to fill your bowl. Get everything mixed around really well then transfer to your serving dish. Now would be the time to add a spoon handle if you are going to want one in there. You would really just need the handle not the entire spoon for this since that is all that will show.

Allow to dry before proceeding.

This is where my camera decided to not record correctly. I ended up with a corrupted file instead of my showing you how to do some touch-ups to the paint.

First I used the darkest red paint on a small brush and worked it under and around the cranberries in the bowl. In retrospect I think if I make this again I will paint the inside of the bowl with the red paint as deep as I plan to put the cranberries, it would be a lot easier.

Next I used a bit of white paint to cover any red paint that was on the bowl in places I didn't want it. (like the huge fingerprint I managed to get on the side of one of the bowls LOL)

After the touch-up paint dried we just need to coat everything with a nice coat of Triple Thick and we are done. Be sure to do this in 2 steps so you can set the bowls down on the side that is dry.


So I think this project turned out really cute. I hope you enjoy it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment