Monday, March 14, 2016

Doll Size Strawberries


This week we are going to make some nice fresh strawberries for the dolls.



This project was a request via Facebook a while back. I was hoping to get it done prior to Valentine's Day but I just couldn't find any decent strawberries in my local store to use as models. I finally got some, and as a side note they were delicious (didn't last until I had time to film). I like to always have the real food item on hand whenever I make polymer clay food. I find that my foods turn out so much better that way than trying to work from a photo. Probably the worst thing you can do is try to make foods from memory, no matter how well you think you know what something looks like it is really hard to remember every detail. By having the real thing on hand you can look at all angles and compare everything about your model to the real thing. That part of the process was off camera this time because I did my prototypes up early in the week while we still had the berries on hand.

This time I am using Premo clay in Pomegranate it provides a nice ripe berry color. For the stems and leaves I used Premo Spanish Olive. For the unripe berry I used Fimo translucent with a small touch of a yellow clay. I used a bit too much yellow in mine, and mine was a bit too bright. A more dull yellow color would have been better. The unripe berries need to brushed with a good coat of red chalk before baking.

Be sure to use a liquid clay like TLS when bonding baked clay with raw clay line when we added the leaves and stems.

If you don't have a cutter like I used for the leaves this would be a fairly simple shape to cut with a clay knife.


For the chocolate coated berry I am using my stand by for chocolate coating the Scribbles 3-D paint in Hot Chocolate. I love how this stuff looks like a real chocolate coating. 




No comments:

Post a Comment