Monday, May 2, 2016

Doll Size Tacos


This week I decided to do some more with that tortilla chip clay we mixed up a couple of weeks ago. If you missed that video you can see it here.



So this week we are making some tacos. I know that probably everyone has a different idea of what should go on the taco as far as toppings. I chose the items I did for two reasons. They are close to what I would put on a real taco and I thought they would look really cool in the doll size. Also I got to show you a couple of new techniques for working with clay in the process.

You can of course change the topping to whatever you want.

For the meat you can use any brown colors of polymer clay. I do recommend using a light brown/tan and a dark brown. We want to have the contrast so we can add more interest to the project.

For the cheese again use what you have but if you can find Sculpey Sweet Potato it is a fantastic cheese color. Just grate the raw clay like you would real cheese.

For the lettuce I like to use a white/translucent mix along with 2 or 3 various green clays. Just marble them together. Again it makes it way more interesting and realistic than just one color of green.

It is the little touches that make our projects look more realistic.

The “tomatoes” were added simply because I had the cooked clay on my table and I love how they look. I did add a bit of our “lettuce” to help hide the TLS it just makes them look more natural.

Do follow the baking instructions for your clay. I however do usually bake my clay at a slightly lower temperature than on the package. I find that my clay looks better this way. Temperature is our enemy not how long we bake our clay. These did bake for 15 minutes since they are fairly thick.

I had thought about baking part way through like I do on a lot of larger projects but I wanted to keep the taco shell unbaked until I was through filling it. I was worried about it either closing at the open top if I baked it before it was full or breaking it trying to get more topping inside of it had it been baked before completely filling it.






No comments:

Post a Comment