Monday, June 13, 2016

Doll Size Condiment Bottles


This week we are making some of those cute condiment bottles for the ketchup, mustard and mayo just like I used to have when my older kids were little. They were sure a lot easier to take with when we ate outside in the yard or had a picnic somewhere.



Since the shape of these bottles is so simple they are easy to replicate with paper and wood. If you have ever made any paper beads the technique I am showing you should be somewhat familiar.

The first step is to create the nozzle for our bottles. For this (after trying several ideas) I decided that using a bamboo skewer from the kitchen was going to be the best option. I didn't want that long sharp point so I used my pencil sharpener to make a more gradual blunt point. This then becomes the center of our bead.

For the bulk of our bottle I used 1 strip of regular printer paper cut 11 ½” by 2 1/8”. Wrap this around the skewer really tightly using some Mod Podge to secure it. Follow this with 4 strips of the same paper cut 2” by 11 ½”. Keep the cylinder as tight and straight as you can. Keeping the bottom flat is the hardest part of the process.

When you have finished wrapping the paper around the skewer give it a good coat of Mod Podge and let it sit long enough to completely dry. Overnight is probably a really good idea.

When they are dry use some sand paper or emery boards to smooth everything up. Spend more time on yours than I was able to on mine. I really needed to finish up quickly so I could get this video up on time. Take you time and get yours a lot more even.

Follow up with a good coat of craft paint and a clear finish.

If you are feeling especially creative you can add a cute design to the side of your bottles. Or just leave them plain like mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment