Monday, June 27, 2016

Doll Size Tomato Slices


I do want to preface this blog post by telling you that if you also follow my dollhouse miniature channel/blog I am doing the same project over there this week. In fact some of the video will be the exact same footage, but then will cut to scale specific to finish the project.



This week I decided to tackle a cane that I have wanted to do for a couple of years. I have just been to chicken to try it. I have looked at several of my resource books at directions and the tomato cane just looked so complicated that I was a bit scared to try it. But I really wanted to make this so I made the decision that this was a good time to just jump in and do it already! So here you are, tomato canes.

I am really happy to tell you that it really wasn't as hard as I feared it would be. Just go step by step and take it slow, it really isn't any harder than some of the other canes I have demonstrated on this channel in the past.


I did manage to make this entirely out of Sculpey III and Premo clays this time too. I know that some of you have a lot of trouble both getting Fimo and using it once you do find it.

Here are the colors I used today:

Sculpey III Lemonade (a light yellow)
Premo Spanish Olive (a dark green)
Premo Translucent
Sculpey III Beige (a pinky flesh color)
Premo Pomegranate (an orange red)

I have put a description of sorts after the colors to help you find other colors in your collection that might work. The only ones I didn't do this for is the translucent because other than Cernit I don't think any of the other translucent clays will be translucent enough for this project.

After you get your cane reduced to the size you want, remember that tomatoes come in a variety of sizes, place the cane into the freezer for about 30 minutes to firm up.

Now just slice the cane into as many slices as you think your dolls will need.

Bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 minutes if you just have slices or 20 minutes if you decide to take some of those leftover ends and create a whole tomato too.

Once baked you can add the optional gloss to the liquid areas of your tomato slices.

If you made the whole tomato my favorite coating for that is Future floor polish. Here is a link to what the bottle looks like now so you can find it. A little bit of this goes a long way.

A little note on the floor finish stuff, I did a bunch of searching online and this is what keeps coming up as being the same thing. I am not sure since they have changed the name of it significantly, but I am pretty sure it is the same. (fingers crossed)




I hope you enjoyed the project this week. Be sure to share pictures with me if you make any of my projects I love to see what you make.  

No comments:

Post a Comment