Monday, July 11, 2016

Doll Size Pickle Slices


This week we are making some pickle slices for the dolls to add to those burgers we have been working on. I decided to go the simple route this week, we could have made a much more complex cane complete with the seeds but I will save that for a future project. I looked at the pickles in my fridge and although you could see the seeds they really weren't that visible.



I know we have used a lot of colors of clay the last few weeks although I have tried to keep it to a minimum. This week I worked really hard to use the same yellow, green and translucent that we used on the tomato slices. They are beautiful colors and we should get as much use out of them as possible.

For the base green mixture we first need to mix together:

2 parts Sculpey III in Lemonade (yellow)
with
1 part Premo Spanish Olive (dark green)

Once this mixture is well combined you need to mix

1 part of the green mixture
with
8 parts Premo Translucent

Combine these really well.

Now make a short fat log, roll out a tiny bit more of the dark green as thin as you can possibly get it and wrap that around the sides of the log.

Now start reducing your clay cane. At the largest I wanted my cane to ¾” in diameter and at the smallest ½” in diameter. I decided to make mine cane range through all the sizes in between by making kind of a cone shape. This gave me a large assortment of finished pickle slices. Make your cane into a rounded triangle shape and chill in the freezer for about 20 minutes.

Once the clay is thoroughly chilled we can cut it into thin slices. I did try to use the wavy blade but it was a bit too big to be in scale and it made it really hard to get thin slices. So I switched to my regular clay blade.

Once you have you have all your pickle slices cut it is time to bake them. I always bake mine on a paper plate. This time it was at 275 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes.

Since pickles are wet we need to add a coat of gloss to them. This time I am using Triple Thick mostly because I wanted to use a paint brush to apply it. In the end it worked out much better which I will explain in a moment.


Once the clear glaze was dry (and I had already uploaded the video to my computer and plugged my camera in to charge the battery) I decided that the pickle slices looked a bit bland. I decided to take my own advice and add just a touch of yellow food coloring (from the kitchen) to more Triple Thick and added a coat of this to the pickle slices. I also added a small pool of this to the container that I put the pickle slices in for display. Just keep in mind this will adhere them permanently to the container.

I think these look great both in the dish and on the burgers!

So what other toppings do you like on your burgers? What are the dolls missing? I was asked to try to make some red onion slices so I am going to try and work on that this week and see if I can come up with those. What else do we need???



No comments:

Post a Comment