Saturday, July 9, 2016

Un-boxing Ashlyn


Today I have a different kind of video and blog for you. I purchased one of the new Wellie Wishers from American Girl and decided to un-box her on camera. I love to watch un-boxing videos so I thought I might as well film as I opened.



If you aren't familiar with the Wellie Wisher line of dolls they are the newest addition to the American Girl family of dolls. They are being marketed to slightly younger girls (age 5 and up) than the traditional American Girl dolls(age 8 and up).

There are 5 dolls in the collection currently. I have no idea if they plan to add more later but I do hope so. The site describes each doll's personality and they have a range of colors of skin and hair. They are all very cute and it was hard to make a choice but I had a particular role in mind for this doll.

The dolls measure 14 ½” tall so they are smaller than the traditional American Girl dolls. They are also have a younger appearance to both their faces and body shape than the larger dolls. These two features also mean that they will look perfect as younger siblings in our doll collections.

They feature a completely hard body as opposed to the soft body of the larger dolls. I saw a few photos of dolls that people had gotten that had large gaps in the side seams of their dolls. Mine seems to be fine in that respect.

I think this doll's hair is her best feature, it is sooooo soft and silky. It has beautiful highlights too. Although that face is almost too cute to believe.




The price of $60 is high for a doll in my opinion but compared to the $115-$120 price tag of the larger dolls it seems almost reasonable. Currently (through the end of July 2016) they are offering free shipping on the Wellie Wisher dolls so that helps a bit.

As for delivery time for me I ordered on June 27th and it arrived to my post office late in the day on July 7th. Keep in mind we did have a holiday during the shipping too.



Now onto how this doll will fit into my doll family. This blog post is the last time you will probably see/hear her referred to by the name Ashlyn. This doll is now named Maria, and she is Jeremy's little sister. I had been wanting to get a little sister for him since the beginning but the doll I had planned to get is no longer made and I was never able to find one.

I took some pictures of Maria and Jeremy side by side so you see how they look together. I think they are going to make wonder bother and sister. Don't you?




I did get one outfit completed for Maria before she arrived and I love the way it looks on her. I have a couple more outfits cut out but didn't get time to finish them in time for the blog.


Both pieces are made from patterns from Pixie Faire.

The top is from the Trendy T-Shirt pattern which is a free pattern on the site. I made this one pretty much by the pattern. I did do my favorite finishing technique on the edges.










For the shorts I actually used the Piccadilly Pjs pattern bottoms. I simply made a guess where to cut them off and added a cuff the legs. I love how they turned out.









I need to get busy sewing for this little dear so she can have a few changes of clothing. Then you will see her here on my blog in some Allison's Journal posts very soon. 

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this very much and Maria looks like she is tickled PINK to have a wonderful big brother! I am just enchanted with my Lacey; I have spent hours and hours developing and resizing patterns and making prototypes of clothing for the Wellie Wishers. I hope to get pix tomorrow; but I said that yesterday, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is very cute! I love her face and colouring. Up here in Vancouver BC we can get these dolls at a Chapter's book store, but they are $75 each, not including tax!!!! So I don't know if I'll buy one or not as I have no daughters, and no grand daughters! Your blog is very well done. I found the link for it at the My Doll's House FB page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: I also have a doll blog; if you click on my name it will take you to my preview blog page which shows all 6 of my blogs. The doll one with lots of photos is called "Mind like a sieve". Please come and visit when you have a chance!

    ReplyDelete