Monday, August 8, 2016

Doll Size Burger Baskets





This week we are going to be making some of those cute paper baskets to serve our burgers in. I think this does pull the project all together.

These are super simple to make, we just need to cut some simple rectagles of paper, score, fold, and glue.


The first step is of course finding the right paper. I had my heart set on some red and white check. My first choice for this project is the heavier weight card stock from the craft store. The problem I ran into was that my store had the design I wanted but not in the heavier paper just in the thinner paper. I got a design close to what I wanted in the weight paper I wanted and I got a sheet of the design I wanted. I was going to try the lighter paper first and if it worked I would get to use it. If not I could start over with the other piece of paper.

I was so happy that this did work.

There are several things I like better about the heavier paper though. First off it is stronger so the baskets made with that paper would last longer. It also stays creased better than the lighter weight paper. And although not a huge deal the heavier paper is usually blank on the back side while the lighter paper often has the logo of the paper company on it. So if you can find a design in the heavier weight paper go with that.

We need to cut the card stock into pieces that measure 2 ½” by 3 ¼” then we need to score a ½” in from all sides. Now take a small pair of scissors and cut a line from the corners to where the scoring lines meet at each corner.

Now just glue the corners and allow to dry.



The next step is what makes these durable enough to hold the burgers and to look realistic. We need to coat both sides of the baskets with a layer of Matte Mod Podge. I prefer the matte for this because it just looks more realistic.

After the Mod Podge dries the baskets are done.

If you want to add a liner paper to your baskets just cut some tissue paper (the kind that is sold with wrapping paper) into 2 ½” by 3 ¼” pieces.

If you want to wrap your burgers you can follow my directions on the video with another piece of the tissue paper cut 3 ½” by 4 ½”.

I didn't glue my burgers together because I know I might in the future want the pieces separate for blog photos. If you do want to glue yours I suggest using Beacon's 517 Multi-purpose glue. It plays well with cured polymer clay.

If you want to have some ketchup, mustard or mayo showing on those burgers I recommend using some Scribbles 3-D paint in the appropriate colors . Today I had Bright Yellow, Deep Red and Winter White. This paint will also act as a glue if you use it between the layers.




So there you have our burger project done! What do you think? Did you make some or all of the projects? 

No comments:

Post a Comment