Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Doll Size Green Onions




I decided it was time we put some of the skills I have been teaching you in the Clay 101 series to work. I love how we can use the skinner blend I taught recently to make the green onions look realistic. If you missed that tutorial (or just want a refresher on the technique) you can find it here.


The clays I used were:

Fimo white
Sculpey III translucent

mix these in equal parts for the white blend

Sculpey III String Bean
Fimo Translucent green (or the same translucent you used in the white blend)

mix these in equal parts for the green blend

I find it really useful to bake a sample of my clay blends when I am adding translucent clay to the mixture since the color of those blends changes a lot when baked.

Feel free to use the same plain translucent clay in both blends, I used the green translucent because I had a lot more of it than of the plain.

We want our finished green onions in this scale to be no bigger in diameter that 1/8th “ and about 4” long.

Any time I am using a translucent clay I lower my baking temperature to 235° F because translucent clay has a bad habit of discoloring at higher temperatures. Bake these for about 10 minutes and allow to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment