Friday, April 9, 2021

Let's Sew Doll Clothes part 9

 


Watch the video here.

 

 



This week we are going to sew the pants half of our doll pajamas. They are a pretty straight forward project only 3 pattern pieces. I am really not sure how I missed the waistband last week when I cut out the pattern. I didn't realize it until I got to the step where I was instituted to sew it on. Hmmm... I guess I was a bit tired when I filmed that. Sorry about that. It was easy to fix I just cut another piece of ribbing exactly like I cut out the neckband just with the waistband pattern piece.


For these pajamas I chose a thread that would coordinate with the background of the fabric. Here is the color I used. Coats and Clark Dual Duty Thread  #8180 Cafe Beige. I do prefer to go a bit darker than my fabric rather than lighter, I find it blends better that way.


I am a bit torn on this series as to how often to re-show certain steps. Like cutting out that waistband or pressing certain parts. I'm just talking about the steps we have done before. Let me know how you would like me to handle those parts in future videos as get more advanced in our sewing. I am thinking show each step at least the first time it comes up in the current project then skip the repeats of the same step.


To press the inseam seam I used one of my favorite tools, it is a sleeve roll designed for use when making 18” doll clothing. I got it in a pattern along with a doll size pressing ham. I think this is the pattern although the one on the cover looks slightly different. I got mine several years ago and I no longer have the pattern. I went through my account on Pixie Faire to see if I could find it but I didn't have any luck. I think I might have gotten mine before I set up my account. Anyway, here is a link to the pattern for sale on Pixie Faire currently. I do recommend if you are going to do much doll clothes sewing that you pick this pattern and make yourself a set of the pressing-tools included. They do come in handy and I will be using mine in future projects.


Now, in all honestly I am not 100% happy with how my pajama pants came out. I'm not sure if it was a machine threading issue or an issue with the needle I had put in. When I was sewing the waistband ribbing to the pants my machine was pulling oddly and the stitches were not perfect. This is usually a sign of either a threading issue or a needle issue. I did re-thread the machine and it was better and I was able to finish the pants without any more issues. I did decide to change the needle for another fresh one when I finished the pants. I had changed the needle before starting the pants but it is possible that the one I had put in was either not as sharp as it should have been or it might have had a bad spot on it. These things happen. I knew the issue would only show on the inside of the garment and it isn't even that big of a deal. A lot of people probably wouldn't even have noticed the difference in how the stitches look.

No comments:

Post a Comment