Monday, May 11, 2015

Doll Size Fried Chicken


I decided to make some more food this week so the dolls can eventually have a nice balanced dinner. I thought some fried chicken would be a nice complement to those carrots we made last week.



Again this week I am using some of the Original Sculpey, the clay portion of this project really isn't going to show very much when we are done so this clay works fine. Also since it is soft it forms the pieces quickly with virtually no conditioning of the clay.



Since our chicken pieces are going to be covered in “batter” and fried the shapes can be really simple. I did have some fried chicken on hand earlier in the week to use as a reference. I measured those pieces and got my shapes figured out. I then made a batch of chicken to test out my sizes. I left one set of the parts at the just baked stage so I can keep those for future reference. I will put the 4 pieces in a zippered plastic bag and label them so that next time I want to make the dolls some fried chicken I can use them instead of going to the work of getting the real thing. (although I still might have to eat more in the name of research....)

To get the hollow shape of the breast just use some aluminum foil to hold the clay off the baking surface. This foil can even be kept with your reference pieces for next time.

After the pieces are baked a completely cooled it is time to get messy. Pour out some Mod Podge into a small container, try not to get too much because you are not going to be able to put this back into the container when you are (it will get sand in it) Next put some white sand in anther container, I am using some sand I got in the local garden center near the potting soil, it is meant for potted cactus and such. I do recommend using some disposable gloves for this step because this gets really messy. Also be sure your work surface is something the Mod Podge is not going to stick to like a ceramic tile (like I work on) or parchment paper. Now thoroughly coat each piece of chicken in the Mod Podge then coat it with the sand. You need to get this coating as complete and even as possible. Check it after is starts to dry and add more Mod Podge and sand if needed.

Now the hard part it has to get completely dry! I am talking at least overnight. I am waiting for about 24 hours on mine. If you don't allow this step to get completely dry it will come off in the step. (trust me I know this from experience)

Now take a small amount of a golden brown craft paint- I am using Golden Brown by Ceramcoat. Add enough water to the paint to make a very thin wash (almost equal parts) and using a very soft brush slop the paint/water mixture on your chicken pieces. You will know you have the water/paint ratio correct when the color wicks out when applied to the surface and gives a good color. If it is too thin it will wick out but not leave enough color. If it is too thick it will just sit there.

When the paint is completely dry check to make sure you haven't missed any spots and touch up the color as needed. A sealer coat is up to you. If your chicken will be handled a lot or played with I would use a matte finish sealer to coat it.




That's all there is to making a big platter of fried chicken. 

No comments:

Post a Comment