Friday, January 12, 2024

Doll Size Cooked Green Beans

 

Watch the video here.




 

This week we are making some cooked green beans to go along with the fresh ones we made last week. Again we need to start with a clay color that closely matches what we are making. I started out with some of the leftover leaf green color I had left from last week. If you have leaf green clay go ahead and use it. If not and you want to mix your own leaf green like I did last week here is a photo of the colors I used. They were used in approximately equal parts. 

 

 


Once you have leaf green mix in some black to make the cooked bean color. I actually cooked some green beans and tried several combinations of colors to come up with what matched the best for me. I found that 2 parts leaf green with 1 part black was the best match so that is what I am using.



 

Once you have a color you are happy with you can start making your green beans. You have some choices on this step. I show how to make both whole green beans and cut ones. You can make either or both depending on how your dolls are going to be serving them.


For the whole ones just make them the same way we made the fresh ones last week. Form a ball then roll to shape. The details for that are on last week’s tutorial. The only difference is we get to skip all the steps involving the stems because those are generally cut off prior to cooking the beans in real life.


For cut green beans it is even similar, just roll the clay into a snake about 1/8” in diameter and cut into pieces about ¾” long. The snake doesn’t have to be perfectly ¾” it can vary a bit because in real life beans aren’t all the exact same size.



 

Once you have as many beans formed as you think you need, bake them at the temperature suggested for your clay for about 10 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.


 

 

 

There are so many possibilities for finishing the green beans and I just showed a few in the video. That being said if you have a different green bean dish you want/need help recreating for your dolls let me know and I will try to include it in a future tutorial.


For all of our platings of green beans we are going to use some Satin Mod Podge to act as both our glue and as a means to make the beans look slightly wet, just like the real thing. I like to work on a small piece of parchment paper to combine just a bit of the Mod Podge with the beans then transfer and arrange them on a clean sheet of parchment paper.



For the first plating I used the whole green beans and once I had them arranged the way I wanted them I cut tiny bits of some yellow embroidery floss to act as some lemon zest. In real life this is my favorite way to serve green beans so I had include it here. I like to use a piece of raw spaghetti as my tool to lift tiny lightweight things like this floss bits. Just dampen the end slightly and it will have just enough stick to pick up the floss bits and then they will stick to the Mod Podge.



 

For a more simple plating I just added some “salt” to the pile of cut green beans. I started the same as for the first one by mixing a bit of Satin Mod Podge in with the green beans. Then after transferring them to the clean parchment paper I just added a sprinkle of white sand. Once the Mod Podge dries this will look like a sprinkle of coarse salt has been added. If you have some black sand you could add some “pepper” also.


Allow the Mod Podge plenty of time to cure, I do find it is best to turn the piles of green beans over so the bottom side gets more air circulation after a few hours. This will help everything to dry completely.


Once the Mod Podge has dried all the way you can display them as desired.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment