Monday, May 23, 2016

Doll Size- Sliced Cheese



This week I am going to show you how to make some simple sliced cheese for your dolls from polymer clay.



This is a super easy project and you get to practice measuring out the clay too.

The first step is actually to decide how much clay you want to label as “1 part” this will determine how much cheese you end up with. It also allows you to make one slice or hundreds of slices. The proportions of clay colors stay the same.

First we will make some cheddar slices. I based the color on the color of my favorite brand of cheddar. If you favorite brand varies in color feel free to adjust the colors of clay to reflect that.

The basic formula is-
8 parts white (I used Fimo)
2 parts yellow (I used Fimo Sunflower)
1 part orange (I used Fimo Tangerine)

You can use the brand of clay you have just try to get colors as close to what I used as possible. I think all the brands of clay have these colors (by different names) in their lines.

I cut my cheese squares to 1 ¼” because my slices of cheese in my fridge were 3 ¾” a very easy size to translate to 1/3rd scale.

Since I needed a larger baking area than my normal paper plate would have provided I baked on some parchment paper on a large tile. Without the paper between the clay and the tile the bottoms of each piece would have been shiny after baking.

For the Swiss cheese the process is clay mixture is as follows:

8 parts translucent (I think I used Sculpey III, not sure they are all in the same bag)
2 parts white (I used Fimo)
½ part yellow (I used Fimo Sunflower)

The process for this one is almost the same as the cheddar you just have to add the holes. I used a combination of some clay cutters and my ball stylus. You can add as many holes you want. I have to watch myself on this step, I tend to get carried away and add way too many.

Both kinds of cheese are baked at 250 degrees (Fahrenheit) for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Now wasn't that easy???

I think we had better make the dolls some crackers next week to go with this cheese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment