Monday, August 22, 2016

Doll Size Pancakes


A week or so ago I got a request to make some breakfast foods for the dolls. Sorry, I didn't write down who requested it and I can't find the post now. But in any case here you go.



So I decided to start the breakfast choices out with some pancakes. I love to make doll size pancakes because they are really fast to make and they are almost fool proof. So if you haven't tried to make any of my polymer clay foods this would be a perfect place to start. They are also a lot of fun so even those of you that have more experience should enjoy them too.

For clay if you have a block of Fimo in Vanilla that is the perfect color! My block of Vanilla was almost gone so I mixed some clays together to get a color that was close. The lighting in my craftroom was off this week (too hot to turn on all the lights or to open the blinds for natural light) and the clay mixture looked a lot more green than it really was. Trust me, it was pancake color. To get the right color mix whatever white clay you have (I used Original Sculpey) with just a touch of a pale yellow (I used Sculpey Lemonade). You are going for a very pale yellow, more of a cream color. This would be a great excuse to go to the kitchen and make a batch of pancakes so you have the real thing to use as a reference. Remember the pancakes are mostly white but with a slight yellow from the egg yolks that are normally in there. A plain white clay won't look right, you need that tiny touch of yellow.

After you condition your clay and have it mixed well you need to roll out some balls of clay. Try to make them all about the same size, I was trying to keep mine at ¾” because that makes a good sized pancake. If your dolls want larger plate sized pancakes make these balls larger. If they want a plate of the little “silver dollar” size make the balls smaller.

You will need something that is smooth and flat to flatten your pancakes. I had a tin of Lip Butter on my desk so that was what I grabbed. Just look around you, I am sure you will find something. It just needs to be smooth and larger than the finished pancake.

You will also need some cornstarch or baby powder to keep your flattening tool from sticking to badly.

After you get your pancakes flattened you need to give them some “cooked” color. Just like with any bread type food dig out your yellow ocher, red brown, and dark brown chalks and a brush. For this we really want to work the chalk into the top of each pancake but keep the sides their natural color. I don't bother coloring the bottom of these normally but if you want to feel free to. Always start and finish with the yellow chalk, using less of each color as you go darker.

If you want some butter to go on the pancakes you can make some out of the same yellow clay you used to mix your pancake color.

Bake your clay according to the package directions.

After they cool you can add some Gallery Glass (or other brand of glass stain paint) syrup or honey to the top. Allow this to dry completely before you touch it.

So the first breakfast for the dolls is served! A nice plate of pancakes to start the day off right!




What other breakfast (or other) foods would you like to see????

No comments:

Post a Comment