Friday, May 28, 2021

Let's Decorate a Doll Shirt part 2

 

Watch the video here.




Sorry for no posts for a few weeks, I just got really busy on a project and didn't have enough time or energy to get this finished up. The sad part is that I had filmed the first shirt the same day I filmed the end of the last video it put up. Then it just sat on my computer until I had time to work on the second shirt. That is also why there are only 2 shirts this week, I had another planned but I was having trouble getting it the way I wanted it and made the decision that the video would be better without it. I am hoping to get the other idea up to you in the future.


So the first shirt is simply painted with some of the 3-D or puffy paints that you can get anywhere they sell stuff to decorate fabric. I love these and use them not only for fabric decoration but I also use them a lot with my polymer clay projects. They are very versatile to have on hand.


I got some of the paints I used in the video at Dollar Tree so be sure to check there first. The rest were from Walmart.


I decided to go with a very simple all over heart design. Use your imagination and do whatever you want. Just keep the design in scale for the doll.




For our second shirt I am once again doing an applique and a Heat 'n Bond product. This time I used a simple flower shape that I found online and two colors of fabric. I went with Heat 'n Bond Lite this time around so I could show you that you can use your sewing machine to add a bit more decoration to the shirt. You could also do hand stitching around the pieces that would be very pretty.


The fabric I used for the main part of the flower is one that on it's own would be way out of scale for a doll garment. I picked it to show that there are exceptions to that rule and one way to use that oversized design to our advantage in the finished piece.


To sew the fabric down with the machine I used a narrow slightly packed zig-zag stitch. Here are the settings for my machine, I am not sure if they would be the same on whatever machine you are using but wanted to include them so you had a place to start.





I hope you are enjoying this little mini series of videos on decorating your doll t-shirts. Next time I think I will show you a couple of ways to decorate them with some specialized equipment. I know not everyone will have the needed tools but I hope you will still enjoy the ideas and they may give you ideas for other ways to decorate the shirts.



1 comment:

  1. Cute! We tried similar heart design some time ago and decided to use "stencil" - some Valentine card had heart stickers, we used leftover "frames" of those hearts. Don't see the option to attach a picture to my reply. Here https://agandotherdolls.weebly.com/uploads/1/3/8/1/138182973/dolls-with-cans_orig.jpg

    ReplyDelete