Friday, September 3, 2021

Doll Size Fruit Bowl

 

Watch the video here.




This week I am starting a short series of clay videos on the channel. Don't worry we'll get back to sewing again I just need to take a break. I had a bunch of sewing to do and as much as I love to sew I am totally burnt out on it at the moment. I have however, been wanting to get back to my polymer clay so I decided to do that on this channel.



I asked on the Facebook group for suggestions of things people wanted to learn to make from polymer clay and one suggestion in the comments of that post was a fruit bowl and some bananas. I will start with the fruit bowl today and we will get to the bananas in a future video. I did get a couple of suggestions private messaged to me also for some other fruit so we will be able to fill up the fruit bowl over the course of the next couple of months.



If you have never worked with polymer clay before I have some clay 101 videos on the channel. You can find the playlist here, so if you haven't worked with polymer clay a lot I do suggest you start there.


I did do an apple tutorial on the channel in the past and you can find it here.


For the fruit bowl I am going to keep it really easy. We are using just regular Sculpey III in white. Any brand of white polymer clay would work, I happen to have this one and it is easy to work with since it is fairly soft.


The first step after conditioning the clay is to roll it out. I used my acrylic clay roller but in one of those clay 101 videos I mentioned earlier I gave you some ideas of alternatives if you don't have the roller. To make sure I got my clay to an even thickness all over I placed a regular craft stick on each side of my clay and rolled until the roller was resting on them. This way you will have a nice even thickness throughout the clay.


To cut the bowl I used a 3” scalloped cookie cutter that is dedicated to use with clay. 

 

 

I did use a pointed clay tool to add some decorative holes around the edge but this is optional.

 

 

 I then used a small glass bowl from the Dollar Tree as a form for our fruit bowl. I made sure that the clay was centered as much as possible and pressed to the shape of the bowl.





Next I took a bit more of the same clay and rolled it out, this time using some bamboo skewers from the kitchen as thickness guides. 

 

 

 

This was then cut with a ¾” round clay cutter and place on the bottom of the bowl.

 

 

 I then dusted my work surface with a bit of cornstarch (prevents sticking) and made sure the bowl would sit properly.



The bowl on it's form was then baked at 275°F for 10 minutes.


After the bowl cooled I removed it from the dish and gave it a very thin coat of gloss Mod Podge to finish it. Just use a very thin coat of the gloss as it has a nasty habit of remaining/becoming sticky if it is too thick.




Once the Mod Podge dries you can add your doll size fruit.


Be sure to let me know what things you would like to see tutorials of on the channel clay and otherwise.


As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment