Friday, February 4, 2022

Doll Size Divided Serving Tray

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




In last week's video I had asked for you guys to suggest things you want to see tutorials on and one of the suggestions was a veggie tray. As I was looking at ideas for veggie trays I ran across this really cool serving tray that a veggie tray was on. I decided I just had to make it this week. Then we can fill it up not only with veggies and maybe some dip but it could be used for all kinds of other foods too. I think this is a project that will see a lot of use in my photos of the foods we make in tutorials in the future.


The entire project is in 6 parts- 4 wedge shaped bowls, 1 small round bowl, and a larger tray that the other 5 pieces all fit into.


To start you will need to draw a circle that is around 3” in diameter. I had a container on my craft table that measured 3 ¼” so it was perfect. I would say it should be at least 3” but no more than 3 ½” to stay in scale.


Draw this circle on some lightweight paper then add to dissect it into 4 equal quarters. Then draw a 1” diameter circle in the very center.







You need to use these two pieces as your pattern to start the project so glue them to some heavy paper or poster board. I like to use 140 lb watercolor paper.






Once the glue on these patterns is dry go ahead and trace 8 of the wedge shape onto some card-stock and cut them out. 

 

 

 


 

Also cut 4 strips of the same card-stock that measure 2” by 8 ½” and score these ½” from one long edge and ¾” from the other.

 

 

 

 


 Cut a small notch to create an overlap as shown in the video and glue the strips so you have the ½” wide flap free and a piece about ¾” wide that is two layers. When the glue is dry cut tiny notches the length of the ½” flap to help in following the curves when gluing.





Glue each strip around one of the wedge shape pieces cutting the excess off to fit. Once dry use the other 4 wedge shapes to cover the bottom of the bowls.





Now cut 2 1” circles and another 2” strip of card-stock and score and glue the strip the same as before.






Carefully glue the strip around one of the circles, it does help to have something about the correct diameter to use to hold this while working. Add the other circle to the bottom and allow the glue to dry.





Once dry set up your dishes around the round one and measure the diameter of your set of bowls. Depending on the thickness of the card-stock you are using this could vary. Mine was around 4” in diameter this is the size you need to make your tray.


Give the pieces you have finished a good coat of gloss Mod Podge and allow to dry.



Meanwhile find something to trace around to make a circle the size you need for your tray. Cut one circle from card-stock and one from a heavy paper (I used my watercolor paper) and glue these together. Cut a strip of card-stock long enough to go around your circle and 1 ½” wide. I cut mine diagonally from a 12” by 12” sheet of card-stock and it was perfect. Score this strip ½” from each long edge and glue just like before. Cut notches in the flap as before.










Glue the strip around the circle and allow to dry. Glue this to some more matching card-stock and once dry cut as close to the edge as possible.




I was planning to add a strip of colored card-stock around the base of the tray at this point but I liked the clean lines that the tray had and decided to skip this step. If you want to add one just cut a ¼” wide strip long enough to go around the tray and glue to the outside at the base.






I decided instead to add a rim of gold paint and I love the way it looks.


Now add a coat of gloss Mod Podge and allow to dry.



Your divided serving tray is ready to fill with all sorts of goodies for the dolls to snack on.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment