Friday, February 18, 2022

Doll Size Doughnuts

 


Watch the video here.





I have a very good reason for making doughnuts this week for the dolls, I have been craving them like crazy but the weather has not been cooperative to going to the store to get any. So I decided to make some from polymer clay this week instead.


This is a really simple project and only uses one clay, Original Sculpey, although you could use any white clay you have on hand.



Start by shaping a ball of clay fro each doughnut you want to make. For regular doughnuts I find a 1” ball to be a really good size. If you want to add some maple bars (long johns in some areas) make the ball slightly larger about        1¼”.




For the doughnuts simply flatten the ball slightly (I did this on top of a piece of sandpaper to keep the bottom from getting too smooth) then use a round tool to make the hole in the center. I used the handle from my chalk brush.






Once you have the basic doughnut shape use a small ball of tightly crumpled aluminum foil to make a textured banc around the center of the sides of the doughnuts.






For the Maple Bar, simply roll the ball into a slight log shape then flatten the same way. And texture all the way around the clay shape.



Once you are happy with the shape add some yellow ocher color chalk to the doughnuts. Go a bit light around the textured area and down the center hole in the doughnuts.






To finish add a coat of a reddish brown chalk to the top and bottoms of the doughnuts doing your best to stay off the textured area.






Bake the doughnuts for 20 minutes at the temperature recommended by your clay. And allow to cool to room temperature.


Now onto decorating our doughnuts. I kept it really simple today but you can go all out, just check online or at the local bakery for inspiration. For mine I just used my favorite icing to coat finish mine.



For the icing I am mixing TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey) and oil paint. You just use a tiny bit of oil paint in the mixture. If you use too much it will not cure properly. So for the blobs of TLS I just used a tiny bit of the paint on the tip of the toothpick I used to mix them.


For colors I used: Burnt Umber, Yellow Ocher, Titanium White, and Rose Madder.


Keep in mind that these mixtures will be lighter in color in their raw state than they will be after baking. If you are unsure about colors I suggest baking a tiny bit of the icing mixture on a piece of parchment paper to test your colors.


For the chocolate icing I used the Burnt Umber by itself in the TLS.


For the maple icing I used a mix of the yellow ocher with just a tiny bit of the Burnt Umber.


For the white I used the white alone.


For the pink I used mostly white with a very tiny bit of the Rose Madder. A note on red oil paints- I have found that most reds do shift to an orange hue when cured in TLS, Rose Madder seems to be the most predictable for me.


I suggest mixing this on a disposable surface, I use aluminum foil for easy clean up.


I know there are a lot of instructions out there tell you that it is okay to mix acrylic paint with TLS. I have even seen people that are supposed to know better saying this is alright. The problem lies in the fact that one of the ingredients in acrylic paint is water. When that water gets heated during the curing of the TLS it can boil and in some cases explode your project in the oven. I know that the worse case doesn't happen very often but it can happen. If the water in the paint boils in the heat of oven it will ruin your project.


I do love the way this icing looks when it is baked because it has a wonderful sheen that looks like real icing and makes whatever doll food you put it on look so much more realistic. 



On the white frosted doughnut I added some micro no hole beads to act as sprinkles because they look so nice also.


I hope you enjoy this project, be sure to show me your doughnuts if you make them.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




1 comment: