Friday, January 27, 2023

18” Doll Size Chocolate Candies

 

Watch the video here.




This week we are making some chocolate candies to fill the heart shaped boxes we made last week. If you missed that tutorial you can find it here.


For the candy today I am using some dark brown clay, Premo in Burnt Umber but you could use any dark brown, all the major clay brands have a nice rich dark brown in their lines. I mixed it with a bit of Translucent clay to make it both easier to work with and to give the finished project a better look. I find that without the translucent added they look a bit chalky. When it came time to make the milk chocolate I just added some white to give the lighter color.



 

Now let’s talk about the guide I made to help me roll the clay out. I have several other things like this but none were thick enough for this project. So I simply made two stacks of 3 craft sticks each, glued them with some tacky glue and clamped them until dry. This way I knew that they would be a consistent size.


I also printed off some graph paper in both 8 squares to the inch and 4 squares to the inch. I used a site that provides free PDF versions of many printable pages for free. Here is a link to the page I got mine from.



 

 

Now we need to roll out our clay using the guides we made earlier (or something else about ¼” thick) 

 

 

 


 

 

Then using the lines on the graph paper cut some squares (about 3/8” square) and rectangles (abut ¼” by ½”) for some of you candies.


 

 

For the round candies I looked around to find something that was about the correct size and that I thought most of you would have access to . I came upon the lid to my Sharpie marker and it was perfect.


Be sure to lay the piece of plastic wrap over the clay before using the lid to cut the candy shape. It does two things here. First it makes the top a nice round dome like a lot of nice chocolates have.. Secondly, and maybe most importantly it makes it easy to remove the clay from the lid after you cut it.


 


To create the heart shaped candies I started with the same round shape and then used one of my small dotting tools to make the dip in the top. I used my fingers to shape the pointed bottom end. If you don’t have a dotting tool you can use something like a toothpick.

 


Once you have made as many candies as you want bake them at the recommended temperature for your clay brand for 15 minutes and allow to cool to room temperature.

 

 




 

 

Now we just need to add a light coat of a clear satin finish to our candies and allow to dry.


 

 

 


 

 

 

 

Now you have some nice expensive looking chocolates for the dolls to share with their favorite valentine.




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment