Friday, February 2, 2024

Doll Size Toaster Pastries pt 2

 


Watch the video here.

 


Last week we made some whole toaster pastries and this week I am taking you a step further and making some that have been broken in two (I don’t know about anyone else but I always break mine in two before I eat them) and some that have a bite out of them. If you haven’t seen the video from last week I do recommend watching that one first so here is the link to the video. And here is the link to the blog post where you will find more information.


We are using the same clay mixture for the dough that we used last week as well as the same pattern that told you how to make.



The big difference this week is the addition of the colored filling for the pastries. This is made with a mix of about 8 parts translucent polymer clay to 1 part of the color of you choice. Since I am making strawberry I used a fairly bright red for mine. You can use whatever color matches the filling of the pastry you are trying to replicate.

 


I do recommend baking off a sample of the mixed clay since it is hard to predict exactly what color it will bake out to be. The translucent clay is very white in its unbaked state but depending on the brand it goes to a translucent color. I have found with experience that it is best to bake a sample rather that guessing.


Once I was happy with my color mix it was time to get to work on the project.


To add a little bit of additional texture to our filling I added just a bit of white sand to mine. This will make the filling look more like the jam filling in the real pastries. It doesn’t take much and you could skip this if you wish.


Once the sand is worked into the clay it is time roll it out just like we did last week. Then using the pattern for the filling cut out as many pieces as you wish.


Then you will use the same dough color clay as we used last week and for each pastry cut 2 of the larger pieces.



Then the assembly is the same as last week just using the red filling in the center of each pastry. I used the same tools as I did last week and the same process.



Once I had all the pastries I am making today put together with the edges sealed and the tops have their little holes in them. I used the same chalks to color the pastries to make them look like they have been toasted.


Remember all of these steps were covered in last week’s tutorial so I am not going into great detail this week and why I recommended you watch that tutorial first.


Now we start to do things a little bit different. At this point put your pastries into the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes. You want them to get really cold. This will make the clay a bit firmer and easier to work with in the texturing part of the process.


Once they are really cold you can proceed to make either the pastry that is broken into 2 parts or the one with the bite out of it. You could of course do both to the same pastry if you wish.


For the broken pastry- use your clay knife to cut across the pastry but don’t cut straight across, come from both sides and then make a shallow cut to connect the two cuts and break the rest of the way. When you break the real pastry it is not straight and we don’t want a straight cut here either. Then use a pointed tool (I use a dental pick but a sewing pin works well also) just barely tease or tickle the cut surface of the pastry. You want to bring up little tiny crumbs of clay to make it look like the pastry in real life. Then use the point of the same took to make a swirl of two in the filling that is exposed.


For the bitten pastry- use a round cutter that has a scalloped shape. I have a set of plastic cutters that have lots of shapes that I have moved to using with clay. I never liked the for real cookies but they work really well for clay. The only thing is since the plastic they need to be cleaned as soon as I am done with them because raw polymer clay will eat holes in some plastics if left in contact.


Use the scalloped cutter to cut off a corner of the pastry and then texture as before. You can use you knife to adjust the cut to make it just the way you want it.


Once you are happy with the way the pastries look go ahead and bake them for 10 minutes at the temperature recommended for your clay. And allow them to cool to room temperature before moving to the next step.



Once cooled we can add the frosting to our pastries. Since I am making “strawberry” toaster pastries I am just using the white Liquid Sculpey as is. If you want to make other flavors that have a colored frosting just follow the instructions from last week where we mixed a couple of colors. This time we need to be much more careful in our application of the frosting so that it stops at the cut/bitten edge and doesn’t run over the edge. Once you have the frosting in place add the sprinkles and bake for another 10 minutes at the temperature recommended for your clay. And once again allow them to cool to room temperature before you touch them.



And that is all there is to this project. I am so happy with the way they turned out and I hope you are enjoying them also. Remember to send me a picture of your dolls with some the foods you’ve made from my tutorials I would love to see what you are making. Also if you have something you would like to learn to make let me know and I will try to come up with a tutorial for you.



As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.



No comments:

Post a Comment