Friday, February 23, 2024

Doll Size Trail Mix

 


Watch the video here.




Trail Mix, I have been thinking about doing this project for a while now. I know there are several parts and some of the pieces look a little bit hard but if you watch how I make each one you will see they are really pretty easy to do.


If I were making this not for a video I would make all the pieces and bake them at the same time. For video purposes I made each component of the trail mix separately. I felt it would be easier to follow that way. The only pieces I would keep separate in baking are the “M&M’s” and I would just put them on their own plate to bake. And that is only because they are the only pieces that are going to get any kind of clear finish.


So for the “M&M’s” I did my best to match the colors from the clays I have on hand. I am going to list the colors I used but feel free to use colors you have or can get easily that are similar.



Red- Sculpey III Red Hot Red

Yellow- Sculpey III Lemonade

Orange- Sculpey II Just Orange

Brown- Sculpey III Suede Brown

Blue- Fimo Blue

Green- Fimo Green


When you are working with different color clays do your best to work from the lightest color to the darkest leaving any red clays for last. That way you minimize color transfer and you won’t spend so much time cleaning up between colors. After you use any of the dark colors and especially red you will need to thoroughly clean everything before you move on to working on anything else.


Condition all the colors of clay then roll a small amount of each color out to a snake about 1/8” in diameter. I like to use my drill gauge to size snakes of clay.



 

Next cut the snakes into 1/8” segments. I use 8 square to the inch graph paper to make measuring easy.


 

Next roll each piece into a tiny ball then use your fingertip to gently flatten each one slightly. You want to make a very round disk shape, like a real M&M,


These are baked at the recommended temperature for 10 minutes and allowed to cool to room temperature.



 

Once cooled make a mixture of about equal parts Satin Mod Podge and water. Coat the pieces and allow to dry on a piece of parchment paper or waxed paper.


 

The raisins are the one piece of this project that took me the longest to figure out. But I am so happy with how they worked out in the end. To start with have you every really thought about what color a raisin is?? I had no idea what color clay to use so I googled it and found that the correct color is a very dark purple red. So that gave some guidance as to what clay color I was looking to create. So my mix was_



 

Sculpey III Plum- 2 parts

Sculpey III Suede Brown- 1 part

Translucent (brand doesn’t really matter here) – 1 part


 

 

Mix these three clays together to get a nice raisin color.


Now roll into a 1/8” snake and cut into about 1/6” pieces. With the raisins you have more leeway in size because they are not all the same size.


Now once again roll into tiny balls.



 

Then on top of a piece of aluminum foil that you have tightly crumpled and flattened out place each ball of clay and use a coarser crumpled piece of aluminum foil to create each raisin.


Again these are baked at recommended temperature for 10 minutes.


Now we can make some peanuts for our trail mix. For those I am using the clay color I many time refer to as my “dough color” and I since I use it so often I normally have a baggie of this color pre-mixed so it is ready to use at all times. It is just a mix of equal parts of any white polymer clay and Fimo Sahara (a light beige)


For these we are stating the very same way we have been a snake that measures 1/8” cut into 1/8” segments, rolled into balls then into ovals.



Then we need to use some light yellow ocher chalk to color the peanuts. For the not broken nuts that is all there is to making them. But I have never gotten anything that didn’t have at least some broken peanuts in it so that is the next step.


Take a few of those finished peanuts and place in a container and then in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will make them firm enough that when we cut them they will keep their shape.




As soon as you take them out of the freezer use your clay knife to cut them in half lengthwise. You will need to work quickly so that they stay firm for this step. Once cut use something pointed to make the mark in the center of the cut surface.


Then bake at the recommended temperature for 10 minutes.




On to the final component- the cashews. We are going to use the same clay as for the peanuts. Make a snake that is just a bit bigger than the 1/8” we have been working with and cut it into pieces that are ½” long. Roll into balls. Then into longer shapes that are about ½” long slightly thicker at o

ne end.


Brush with the same yellow ocher chalk then in a reddish brown chalk.


Form the final shape around a bamboo skewer.


Bake at the same temperature for 10 minutes.



 

 

And that my friends is al there is to this project. I love how it turned out and it really isn’t all that hard to make. Just follow my steps and you will have a batch of doll size trail mix for your dolls in no time. .



 

 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

2 comments:

  1. So realistic. I want to try this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete