Friday, September 27, 2024

Doll Size Pumpkin Spice Rolls

 

Watch the video here.



This week I have another tutorial for our snack cake series. This time we are inspired by the snack cakes of the same name that the Little Debbie company makes in real life. I saw the box of these at the grocery store the other day and thought they would be really fun to make for the dolls. As a bonus they are super simple and would be a good project for a relative beginner in polymer clay crafting. We are only using 2 colors of clay and minimal tools.





 

For the two colors of clay I am using some Original Sculpey for the filling and the bands of icing on the rolls. And some Fimo in Yellow Ocher for the cake part. Since the cake part really has little/no texture we won’t even need to do any texturing on this project.


To start make sure your clays are both conditioned and ready to work with. The Fimo will take a bit more time to condition because it is a much firmer clay. Then roll the clay out into sheets. For the cake part I used a single layer craft stick on each side of the clay to make sure my sheet of clay was a consistent thickness all the way across.

If you don’t have a clay roller like I am using just use a straight sided jar like the kind that capers or olives come in.

For the white (filling) layer I did the same thing except I used my set of double craft sticks to get the right thickness.


Since the white clay is softer than the yellow it will naturally squish out just a tiny bit when we cut so it will look like the filling.


The next step is to layer the white layer on top of the yellow one and trim the edges to even the layer out. Now roll the two layers together using the double craft stick spacers, this will help to thin the layer we are working with and also eliminate any air bubbles that might be between the layer. It will also help the layers to stick together better.


Now just roll the clay like you would if you were making cinnamon rolls with the yellow (cake) layer on the outside.


At this point you should have roll that looks like the snack cake but it is too big. So now we need to gently roll the snake down until it is ½” in diameter. Go slow and be gentle, this is an easy process.

Next cut the snake into pieces that are 7/8” long. This is the size of our finished snack cakes.



Now onto decorating. If you have some white 3-D paint you could use that after the snack cakes are baked to make the lines. However I am out of white 3-D paint so I decided to show you how to do the icing lines with the same white clay that we used for the filling. It is just a matter rolling very thin snakes and carefully putting them in place in the design you want. I simplified the design that is on the real snack cakes but if you are more patient than me you could add the extra lines to create a more similar design.


Then just bake the snack cakes on a paper plate for 15 minutes at the temperature suggested for the clay brands you are using.



 

 

 

And the snack cakes are ready for the dolls to enjoy as the weather turns to fall.


 

 

 

 


 

 

 

And since I love to take pictures of my doll foods with the real thing that inspired it here is that picture too.






As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.









No comments:

Post a Comment