Friday, October 8, 2021

Doll Size Caramel Apples

Watch the video here.

 

 




This week I decided to make a something I've been wanting to do for a while, some caramel apples for the dolls. These are a lot of fun, pretty easy to make, and I think just perfect for fall.


Since we don't see the apple part I used Original Sculpey clay, I like to use this clay when possible in places where the clay won't be seen and I need a bulk of it. It does seem expensive at around anywhere from about $12 to about $20 for the size package I have. You get a lot of clay (I.75 pounds) as compared to the small blocks of Sculpey III that are only 2 oz for around $2 to $3. That means the cost per ounce for the big block ranges from around $.40 to $.75 as opposed to the 2 ounce blocks that are usually priced at around $2.50 to $3. So you can see there is a big savings if you do a lot of clay work in this scale. I didn't take sale prices into account and you may find better (or worse) prices in your area.


For this project I am using 2 colors of clay the original Sculpey (in white) and some Soft Fimo in Caramel. I also used some TLS (Translucent Liquid Sculpey), toothpicks and some Mod Podge in Satin.


I used the real caramel apple that I picked up at the local grocery store as my model. These tend to be a bit on the small side but sizes do vary. This is one of those projects where you can fudge the size a bit in either direction a little bit and it will be fine. I tried to keep the white “filler” balls about 1” in diameter or less so in scale my caramel apples are a bit bigger than my real one. I'm okay with that.


The first step is to make the filler ball and attach the stick to it. I like to use the TLS for the added security it affords me. I know the stick won't come out when I use it. These balls need to be baked for about an hour at 250°F to 275°F. I like to go with the slightly lower temperature for these long bakes, the clay will cure just fine at this temperature for this time.



After baking the clay needs to cool all the way to room temperature, this can take a while (be patient)


Once cooled roll out the caramel colored clay into a thin sheet, coat the ball with some TLS, and use the caramel clay to cover the ball. Make a tiny ball of the caramel clay and roll it into a very thin roundish shape, dip the covered “apple” into TLS and set it on the thin shape. Place on a parchment lined paper plate and bake at 275°F for 5 to 10 minutes to cure the caramel clay and the TLS.




Once your caramel apples have cooled again coat with Satin Mod Podge (or another clay friendly finish) allow to dry, trim the sticks and place in your scene with your dolls.




 

 

 

 


 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment