Friday, November 26, 2021

Doll Size Christmas Cookies

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week I decided to make some Christmas cookies for the dolls specifically Spritz. I know as Christmas cookies go these look really plain. However, they are a tradition at my house. Every year they are the first Christmas cookie I make and my kids always looked forward to them. In real life I use the same recipe that has been handed down from my grandma to my mom and then to me. My grown kids now make them also. I think my great grandma made them too but I am not sure. Whatever the case for my family these are the signal that Christmas baking has begun.


I had to work with this project a bit to get the look I was going for and I tried to do my best to make them simple enough that even someone that is not very experienced with polymer clay could still get good results.


We are starting with just two colors of polymer clay- a white and a tiny bit of a yellow. As you saw in the video we just want a tiny bit of yellow, just enough to warm up the white and make it look a bit buttery and richer. 

 

 

 

It is just a slight cream color which you can see in this picture next to the real cookie.








Roll this clay out into a snake that is ⅜” in diameter, then cut this into ⅜” long segments.

 

 

 



 

Roll each of these clay pieces into a ball and use you finger to gently flatten to make a disc about ½” in diameter. Don't make it too flat just press it gently.







Now use the back of your clay blade and lightly mark each disc into 8 equal segments. Again gently we just want to mark the clay not cut through it.








Now using a toothpick make a small dent in the outside edge of the clay at the 8 points where the marks you made touch the edge of the disc.







Next use your toothpick to make a round center hole in each cookie. Then lightly trace the lines with the toothpick making segments in the clay to look like the flower petals.








Once you are happy with the cookie set it aside to rest while you get your chalks ready. If the clay is really soft and hard to work with you can also slip it into the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to firm it up.


Now if is time to texture the cookies. For this I like to move them to a sheet of sandpaper so that the bottom of the cookie has a bit of texture. While it is sitting on the sandpaper use a toothbrush to lightly texture the top of the cookie.


For chalks I am using 4 colors today. A light version of yellow ocher, regular yellow ocher, a reddish brown and just a bit of a medium-dark brown.


I am using two different brushes to apply the clay today, the normal eye shadow brush I almost always use and also a flatter firmer brush that I think is for lining the eyes.


Now that the chalk is ready check each cookie and make sure you are happy with it's shape. I like to use the rounded end of the eye shadow brush to soften the edge of the center hole in the cookies.



Now using the fluffier brush to apply the darker of the 2 yellow colors to the bottom of the cookie. Then use the firmer brush to apply just a bit of the reddish brown color around the perimeter of the base of the cookie. Then just add a tiny amount of the darker color to a couple of spots of the same area to look a bit more cooked.


Turn the cookie over and lightly dust the lightest color to top concentrating around the sides and just barely dusting the top.


Now it is time to bake the cookies on a paper plate at 275°F for 10 minutes.


I think these look pretty good and I hope you also like them.


If you have any special holiday items you would like to see let me know and I will try to include as many as I can over the next month.





As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment