Friday, December 3, 2021

Doll Size Christmas Cake Pops

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



This week for the tutorial we are getting out the clay again, this time to make a batch of doll sized cake pops for Christmas. I was looking online for ideas of things to make and cake pops just leaped out at me. I knew I had to make them. These are super easy and you can decorate them in so many ways. I picked just a few this time to highlight for you. I did try to concentrate on ideas that took a minimum of supplies and were all really easy. Even a beginner in clay could do these.


I decided to make some sprinkles to top some of mine and chopped up candy cane for the others. All of these were made from polymer clay.


For the sprinkles I am using 3 colors of clay- white, green and red. The brands of the clays make no difference here just try to get nice bright colors. We will be using the same red and white to make the cake pops too.


For the Jimmies, just roll a snake of clay as thin as you possibly can and cut very tiny pieces. Transfer these to a paper plate and bake at 275°F for 5 minutes to harden them.




For the sequin shaped ones I again started with a really thin snake and cut into small pieces. I then made tiny balls that I flattened with my fingertip. Again transfer to a paper plate and bake at 275°F for 5 minutes to harden them.


For the peppermint bits I used pearl clay for the white layer (you could definitely use white in its place) and the same red clay. Roll the clays out individually to get them really thin, the red layer needs to be much thinner than the pearl one. Then layer, trim and roll a bit thinner. Cut into tiny pieces, I didn't bother to separate them until I used them. And again transfer to a paper plate and bake at 275°F for 5 minutes to harden them.


I kept mine on separate paper plates so that I could keep the types separate. I also make more than I needed today so that I could bag them up and put them with my clay supplies to use on later projects. Just like having the real thing on hand when you are ready to bake having these little decorations on hand will save you time on later projects and it really takes no more time than doing just what we need today.


Once these are taken care of it is time to make some cake pops. Off camera I painted some round toothpicks with white craft paint and trimmed them to 2” long. These will be our sticks to place our cake pops on.


Also off camera I quickly made myself a little baking, drying rack by cutting a piece of scrap wood and drilling holes into it for the sticks of the cake pops to be placed. This will prevent the cake pops from being damaged when baking and again while the final finish is drying. This is a really handy little tool and will be store with the rest of my clay tools for future projects.


For the cake pops I used three colors of clay the same red and white that I have already been using as well as a rich dark brown. Brand of clay is not important here just use what you either have or can easily purchase.


For the cake pops our goal is to make balls that are ⅜” in diameter. I did this by rolling my clay into a ⅜” snake and cutting it into about ⅜” segments. When rolled into balls these will be close enough to the size we are looking for. I then dipped the pointed ends of our trimmed, painted toothpicks into some TLS and then into the balls of clay. Wipe off any excess TLS that forms at the base of the cake pop. Stand you cake pops into your rack or onto a paper plate and bake at 275° F for 10 minutes.


Once cool we will start decorating.


I then mixed some white clay with some TLS to make a spreadable “icing” for the cake pops. This will not only act as our icing on the cake pops but will also glue our decorations on as well.




Use a toothpick to spread your icing onto your cake pops and add your sprinkles and/or peppermint bits. I like to use the dampened end of a piece of un-cooked spaghetti to position my tiny pieces onto projects.


Once decorated bake again at 275° F for 10 minutes.


After cooling completely add a thin coat of mat Mod Podge to both seal the decorations on and to give the clay a slightly glossy appearance. I like mat for this project because real cake pops just have a slight sheen.







There you have your finished cake pops. I love how they look in this little Christmas mug I made using the same method as in this video. 

 

 




As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment