Friday, December 31, 2021

Doll Size Pickles & Olives

 


Watch the video here.

 

 




This for our tutorial I decided to make some olives and pickles for the dolls. I am really happy with how they turned out and I hope you like them also. Remember if you make anything from my tutorials I would love to see pictures!


We start off with the easiest project, the black olives. Normally I would have had a can of larger olives in my pantry but all I had were some medium size on hand for inspiration. So while they were perfect for color and shape I did a little bit of guessing as to size. I was aiming to make the largest size of olives that I find in cans and I think mine are pretty close in size for this scale.


The clay choice for this one is easy any black polymer clay will work for the black olives. That being said I do want to impress on you that a firmer clay will give you a much better end result. It will be harder to condition to begin the project but once conditioned it will be easier to work with. Softer clays tend to stick to fingers and tools and loose their shape very easily. They can be used but just know it will be harder to get a good looking olive than if you use a clay like a Fimo or a Premo for the projects today.


Once the black clay is conditioned roll it into a ¼” snake and cut it into ⅜” pieces. Roll these pieces into oval shapes (olive shape) and then using a blunted wooden skewer make the iconic hole in the olives. While the olive is still on the skewer use a pointy tool to make a small hole in the opposite end. Carefully remove the olive from the skewer and place it on your baking surface.



For the green olives once again my real olive was not what I was hoping for . The day I went to the store to pick up olives I found the shelf bare with the exception of one jar of the smallest olives I have ever seen that were at the far back of the shelf. So while once again I have a reference for the color and shape I will be using my judgement to make them the size I want. I made these the same size as the black ones.


For the color of clay I didn't have a color that I really liked for the green olives, I had close but not exactly what I wanted. The closest I could come was to use equal parts of Sculpey III in Camouflage Green and Fimo in Sunshine Yellow. When mixed and baked this made a color I was happy with. As mentioned earlier though it was a bit harder to work with because of the softer Sculpey clay in the mix. Since it was only half the clay it was alright but I could definitely tell the difference. Make these exactly as we made the black olives and move to your baking surface. We will be adding the red “pimento” center after they are baked.


Now it was time to make the sweet pickles. Luckily for us these can be made of a softer clay than the olives because the mixture I found to be perfect was 2 parts Translucent clay, 1 part Sculpey III in Camouflage Green and a tiny bit of black clay. This mixture will look too light in color until it is baked because of the translucent but don't worry it comes out really nice. Since the shaping of the pickles is a bit easier the softer consistency of this clay mixture won't cause the problems it would have for the olives.


For the little pickles we will once again roll a ¼” snake of clay but this time we are going to cut it into ⅞” pieces. Once cut simply soften the ends than transfer to a dish scrubby pad (not the real name but I have no idea what they are really called) Hopefully this picture will help you to understand the correct kind of pad. Anyway roll the pickles on the pad to get a really cool texture. 

 

Slightly curve some of your pickle, leave some straight and transfer to you baking surface.


Bake all the clay items at 250°F to 275°F for 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature.







For the “pimento” centers for the green olives mix a bit of red clay with just a tiny bit of yellow clay then using some TLS add a bit to the open end of each green olive. Bake these again for about 5 minutes at 250°F to 275°F.


Once cooled give everything a very light coat of mat Mod Podge and allow to dry.


Now the dolls have some olives and sweet pickles to enjoy alongside their favorite meal.












As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment