Friday, December 17, 2021

Doll Size Candy Canes

 

Watch the video here.

 

 



I decided there was just enough time before Christmas to post one more quick Christmas candy tutorial. When I was a kid candy canes were among the very small amount of candy my mom would actually buy. She wasn't really into candy so she didn't buy me much of it. But at Christmas there were always some candy canes around the house. So for me they are really a sign that the holiday is really approaching.


These are really easy to make and take a minimum number of clay colors. You could get by with just some red, pearl, and translucent if you want. I did add in a tiny bit of green for some of the candy canes today simply because I think those are so pretty. If you don't have pearl you could substitute white for it. I do feel the translucent is a necessary color for this project though. Without the translucent you will find the candies just look too dense and plastic like. With the addition of the translucent clay they look so much better.


For the mixing ratios use equal parts translucent and pearl and for any other colors mix 2 parts colored clay (including white) to 1 part translucent.


The process of making the candy canes is really just making snakes of clay and combining them I like to keep the colored stripes to a minimum. If you add too many stripes they blend together as you reduce the canes and you loose the effect.


Since candy cane stripes vary from company to company pick the ones you love the look of to use as inspiration.


I baked all the candies today at 250°F. The candy canes for 5 minutes and the larger candy sticks for 10 minutes. Both the pearl and the red clays have a bad habit of turning dark very quickly in the oven so watch these colors closely when baking them.



I added a thin coat of Satin Mod Podge to the baked and cooled candies. I like the sheen it gives but it is optional.












As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.




No comments:

Post a Comment