Friday, March 1, 2024

Doll Size Pizza Rolls

 

Watch the video here.




This week for our tutorial I decided to stick with the snack theme and show you how to create pizza rolls for the dolls. This is a fun project and I hope you enjoy it.



Since I started out wanting to keep this one simple and I was being a bit lazy and didn’t feel like digging too far into my clay stash I used some Original Sculpey today. Be sure to use the one that is white(ish) for this project. This clay is very soft so it doesn’t like to hold really fine details but it will work for a simple project. It is a bit of any off white color not a true white so if you want to use another clay you will probably need to mix a white polymer clay with a pale beige color (like Fimo Sahara) to get a dough color. One of the advantages of the Original Sculpey is it is much less expensive ounce for ounce. That being said it only comes in larger block sizes. So it does look expensive at first glance. You get a lot of clay in those big blocks so if you are going to be making a lot of doll foods I do recommend getting some to have on hand. It does come in handy for sure.



To form our basic pizza rolls I rolled the clay out to a snake that was 3/8” in diameter and then cut that snake into 3/8” pieces.


 

 


Once you have the clay cut roll each piece into a ball. Then we can begin the texturing process. I like to use one of those scrubbing pads you can get to wash your dishes. I do prefer the ones I get at the dollar store over the more expensive ones from the grocery store but either will work. The thing I like about the cheaper ones is the texture is a bit softer so they give a softer texture on the clay. Just roll the clay balls on the pad.


Next start to make the balls into cylinder shapes by rolling them again. Then using your finger and thumb create the “seam” on the side edges of each one. At the same time tease up a tiny little ear at each corner to give that typical pizza roll shape. Do this with each ball of clay.


Next I decided to try something that had mixed results but I am including it in the video. I made some pizza rolls that were “bitten” into. These are a bit of a more advanced project and only about half of mine worked but I do love the ones that did work. Sadly I didn’t get time to try to make more of these but I do hope to in the future. When I do make more and figure out any tricks I will share those over on my 18” Dolls Facebook page.



To begin I took some aluminum foil and crunched it up to give it texture. Then I rolled small pieces into little log shapes that about ¼” in diameter. This will act as a form to make the open roll on. Be sure to make the end of the log of foil flat not pointed


Roll some of the same clay out into a thin sheet and cut some pieces that are 3/8” wide. Then fold one of them over one of the foil forms you made. Use your fingers to pinch the sides together to look like the seams we created on the whole pizza rolls. Then use both your pointy tool and a clay knife to shorten the length of the pizza roll to look like it has been bitten into.



Then you can use the same scrubber pad to add some texture to the outside of the bitten rolls.


 


Now we are going to add some color with our chalks. I use artist chalks and eye shadow brushes to do this. I first gave each one a quick coat of a yellow ocher color chalk. Be careful to not cover the surface completely. You want some of the color of the clay to shine through the idea is to make these look baked.



Then add just a bit of some reddish brown chalk mostly on the edges and corners of each roll. Just barely brush a bit over the surface of the rolls. Again you aiming to make these look like they have been cooked.


 

 

Once you have the pieces chalked bake them at the recommended temperature for the clay you are using. I normally bake a little cooler than the stated temps because my oven had a habit of drifting up as much as 25 to 30 degrees while it is baking so for my bakes I usually stick to around 225º F. You don’t want to go higher than the recommended temps on the clay. Since the whole pizza rolls are thicker I baked for 15 minutes to make sure they were cured all the way through.



Now carefully pull the foil forms out of the bitten rolls. Like is said I got about half of the ones I did to work. So if you are making these make extras.


As for the whole pizza rolls they are now finished and ready to display.


So let’s add some filling the bitten ones.


To make the sauce that will hold the filling into the bitten rolls I used some liquid Sculpey that was colored with Vermilion Red oil paint. Whenever you are working with liquid clay that you are coloring do a test bake to check the color and that it is going to cure correctly. Simply put a small amount on a scrap of foil and bake for 10 minutes then allow to cool to room temperature. Once cooled check the color and if it is cured completely you can move to the next step.


For the rest of the filling I wanted to make “cheese” and “meat”. For the “cheese” I used tiny balls of a mix of equal parts white and translucent polymer clays. (this is one of the color mixes I keep on hand because I use it so much) For the “meat” I just grabbed a brown lump of clay from my scrap bag to use. For this I used my pointy tool to tear off little bites to look like clumps of meat.


Then add a small amount of the liquid clay to the inside of the bitten roll, just a bit not much then top with a couple of the bits of filling. Then top with a really small amount of the sauce to help hold everything. Bake for 10 minutes at recommended temperature. Allow to cool before you handle these because the liquid clay sometimes is a bit soft coming out of the oven until it cools.



 

So that is all there is to it, I love how they turned out.




 

 

As always I do want to sincerely thank all of you for watching my videos and reading my blog posts. It means so much to me that you are supporting me in this way. If I could ask you all to do just a bit more by subscribing to the channel and liking the videos and leaving comments. Those help more than you can imagine. Also if you could pass the links on to your friends I would appreciate it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment